Wednesday, August 16, 2006

What kind of dog is Dog?

Isis, the human pet, and I were all watching television this evening, and one of the human pet's favorite shows came on: Dog: The Bounty Hunter. I settled in and watched the entire hour of programming, but would you believe there was not one traditional canine in the whole show? I admit: I was slightly confused, and I'm sure some of you will be as well as I provide the details.

Duane Lee Chapman, a.k.a "The Dog", is a bounty hunter. What that means is he hunts down people known as fugitives, a.k.a. not-so-nice-people, and brings them to jail. He does this with the help of his posse: his wife, Beth, his son, Leland, and his brother, Tim. Sometimes, bringing in people to serve their time in jail goes easy. Most of the time, though, not so much.

Upon watching the episodes and compiling the data, I decided that Dog Chapman was part dog for the following four reasons:

He's able to sniff out bad guys. This guy is always talking about his nose! He points to it. He taps it with his finger. He references it: "My nose knows he's [a fugitive] in there!" Being a feline, we have a strong sense of smell, but I know when I am beat by the sheer tenacity of a bloodhound or beagle. I suspect one of these distinguished breeds is in Dog Chapman's family tree.

He's got brawn. One episode showed how a man was being hidden by his mother in the apartment. Dog knew the man was inside, but he wanted a peaceful resolution to the matter. Dog asked politely yet firmly for the mother to let the man come out, but instead, the man came from the kitchen with a knife and tried to hurt Dog. Dog didn't even flinch! He took the man down in one swift motion just like an English Bulldog to a surging bull! The whole thing was over before you could say, "Aloha!"

He possesses instincts. Sometimes, even Dog's nose fails him. Even with the posse by his side, he may not be able to find a runaway fugitive very quickly. However, Dog doesn't even stress about it. He turns inward, and he comes up with a plan to enable him to succeed. Dog always knows where these fugitives will go, how to make them come out of hiding, and how to put the pressure on just like a good German Shepherd! Perhaps he has more than one breed to his name.

He is loyal. Every feline and canine knows that our family is the most important thing to us in the entire world. We would go out of our way to ensure the safety of our human pets. The same can be said of Dog. Every episode we watched showed how Dog was committed to his family and their well-being. Did I mention he has 12 pups as well? That's quite the litter to be taking care of!

Why don't we compare notes? Check out the show Wednesday evenings on A&E and tell me how you think Dog is...a dog!

19 comments:

The Meezers or Billy said...

our mommy LOVES Dog. It's her most favoritest show - well, 'cept when the Amazing Race is on. She likes how Dog is really devoted to his fambily too. She fought it was really funny last night when Dog's youngest pup was calling another of Dog's pups Baby Lisa, when "baby" Lisa was old enough to be the little pup's mommy!

LZ said...

Hmm...my people haven't watched this show, I will go tell them to Tivo it. That means when we watch shows there are lots of bleep bleep noises and the commercials go really fast.

Kukka-Maria said...

I watched bits of this last night (for the first time)! What amazed me was how huge Dog's wife's bosom was!! And she ran/walked a 5k. Yes, I said RAN!

I couldn't look away...no matter how hard I tried. My mom said if I was going to stare at them that intently, I should really poke a hole in a piece of paper and look through it. She said Beth's boobies might burn my retinas like a solar eclipse.

Whatever. I want implants. Maybe they'd fill out the saggy skin on my belly!

The Tower Hill Mob said...

Dog is our Grandma's favorite show! She and Mollie watch it ALL the time. We think Mollie is hoping the bad guys will win.

Renee Nefe said...

We don't get that channel anymore. We were getting it but the cable guy came out and put some sort of filter on our box and bye-bye A&E channel.

See we signed up for basic cable, but when they turned it on we had expanded basic (and didn't say anything. shhhhh!) We had expanded basic for almost 3 years. Then one day the cable guy came (without telling us he was here!!!) and put the filter on. When I asked what he was doing he pretended as if I had called him...yeah right! Jerk!

Now we don't get that anymore and they want another $30 per month to get it back. Ummmm, I don't think so.

I used to love that "Family Plots" show.

Gemini said...

I think you should have had Dog with you at that spa...

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

How come there is no CAT-- the Bounty huntress? Now that sounds like a show all of us felines woudl watch? Did anyone watch the Meow Mix house? I couldn't find it on Animal Planet.

*ABBY

Twizzler, Jack, Fwankwin, and Gracie said...

Seriously, we agree with Gemini - Dog coulda come in handy at that awful spa-thing. We really like your mom's attitude, tho . . . maybe she should get a show on A&E . . . ? We'd watch fur sure! Hope efurrybody has recovered from the ordeal.

Fat Eric said...

Is this a real show? It sounds too weird to be true! We don't get it here, obviously, although maybe it will turn up here one day as lots of US shows do eventually. I will have to ask my humans to check on this show when they are in Mericky next week - apparently their hotel room has 80 TV channels so they probably won't see much of Boston!
By the way, I just read about your horrible experience in the post below and left a comment there.

Quinn and Angel brandi said...

Mama loves the Dog. She even sings along with the music at the beginning. Good thing I like her singing.

She said the Dog has real woofies too. One got losted before the "Wedding" and everybody had to go find the woofie before they could leave for the wedding. And one of their woofies is named Lucky cause it almost didn't survive being a puppy.

She watches the Dog on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Wait, today is Wednesday!

Sam I Am said...

zeus~
Sam beleives that he is more interesting to watch than the TV, so he sits in front for everyone to see. He gets lots of petting being in such easy reach. Hmmmm, I need to try that,

Lots of Licks!!
Sam

Rascal said...

Well, all I can say is, it's more appropriate to compare humans with dogs. Cats after all, are the superior species.

Skeezix the Cat said...

I don't like dawgs so I woodn't watch a dawg show even if the dawg looked like a peeple persun. My big bruther Mao sez dawgs will eet me.

Whut are boobies?

Anonymous said...

our Lady neffur watches TV on account of she has teenagers, but that looks interesting an you makes some good points. maybe we could get the teenagers to turn it on for us. We're wondering if he drools, sheds, pees on stuff and licks himself like the dogs we know.

Bobkat said...

I have never watched the show but I can't fault your logic Zeus!

Rascal said...

Congratulations to Isis for being named Kat's Cat of the Day. She has a sad story with a happy ending.

Anonymous said...

I just posted about him. i am in love!

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, when people find out I'm from Hawaii, they all want to know if I know "The Dog". I didn't realize how popular his show was being that I've never watched. I see them around filming sometimes and I did meet him on a flight once. He's pretty cool.

Samantha said...

My husband LOVES that show! Somedays I think DOG is too softhearted, other days I want to slap his wife hehehe