Wednesday, May 09, 2007

May I use your chapstick please?

With Mother's Day right around the corner, I'd like to take a moment to share this fable with you. Let's its lesson sink into your heart and nestle you tightly in its kind words. (Many thanks to our friend, Tina, for sharing this!) Enjoy!

"So, we had this great 10 year old cat named Jack who just recently died. Jack was a great cat and the kids would carry him around and sit on him and nothing ever bothered him. He used to hang out and nap all day long on this mat in our bathroom.

Well we have 3 kids and at the time of this story they were 4 years old, 3 years old and 1 year old. The middle one is Eli. Eli really loves chapstick. LOVES it. He kept asking to use my chapstick and then losing it. So finally one day I showed him where in the bathroom I keep my chapstick and how he could use it whenever he wanted to but he needed to put it right back in the drawer when he was done.

Last year on Mother's Day, we were having the typical rush around and try to get ready for Church with everyone crying and carrying on. My two boys are fighting over the toy in the cereal box. I am trying to nurse my little one at the same time I am putting on my make-up. Everything is a mess and everyone has long forgotten that this is a wonderful day to honor me and the amazing job that is motherhood.

We finally have the older one and the baby loaded in the car and I am looking for Eli. I have searched everywhere and I finally round the corner to go into the bathroom. And there was Eli. He was applying my chapstick very carefully to Jack's . . rear end. Eli looked right into my eyes and said "chapped." Now if you have a cat, you know that he is right--their little butts do look pretty chapped. And, frankly, Jack didn't seem to mind.

And the only question to really ask at that point was whether it was the FIRST time Eli had done that to the cats behind or the hundredth. And THAT is my favorite Mother's Day moment ever because it reminds us that no matter how hard we try to civilize these glorious little creatures, there will always be that day when you realize they've been using your chapstick on the cat's butt."

20 comments:

Mary said...

I JUST got this in my email last night ! It's pretty cute.:D

NOLADawn said...

THAT is funny stuff!

The Meezers or Billy said...

I fink mommy just snorted her diet coke out her nose, then snorked it back in at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Lol...Mommy had tears streaming down here face she was laughing so much.

Anonymous said...

Why is she upset? We keep out bottoms clean... I lick mine daily!

=^..^= said...

Hahaha! Oh dear... now that's something to keep Mom up for many nights.

~5-Cat Style

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Bwahahahaha, kids. Mom laffed so hard she coodent breeve.

Bill C said...

Slightly better than lipstick.

For the cat.

Possibly.

Kukka-Maria said...

That's how I keep my bung so soft and supple...just the way my Tomcat Stable loves it!

The Crew said...

Hilarious. Maybe she should consider carrying a "clean" one in her purse for her own personal use and leave another for the kids.

Parker said...

That was great!

Millie said...

WHAT a great story! How fun.

Just Ducky said...

LOL, mum is happy there are no little things around here to use the chapstick.

PrincessMia said...

Oh my!

The M's said...

Just glad that we didn't have the cats until the kids were bigger.

Zeus said...

Mert: When Tina sent this email to me, I knew I had to share with everyone!

Nola: Glad you liked it!

Meezers: That must have burned!

Ariel: We did too when we first read it!

Cheysuli: You would think that the mother would have understood how cleanliness is next to godliness, wouldn't you?

Five-Cat: I bet she won't be using any chapstick any time soon!

Zippy: Oh my goodness! No deaths from reading my blog are allowed!

RJ: Lipstick is not as smooth as chapstick. Plus, it has an awful, metallic taste to it. Not that I would know, of course...

Kukka: Mmm, love that soft butt!

Crew: Maybe, but I highly doubt she'll use any from now on. ;)

Parker and Millie and Princess Mia: I'm glad you liked the story! :)

Derby: Sometimes, it can be nice not to have little ones running around, but then without little ones, there'd be no great forwarded email about chapstick on cats.

Munchkin, Missy, Monte: Count your blessings indeed! Chapstick is precious!

Aloysius said...

That's hilarious, Zeus! I tagged you for the "7 random things about me" meme. Hope you can come out and play.

http://catymology.blogspot.com/2007/05/seven-random-things-about-me.html

Bravely Sir Robin said...

I think if I was a human I'd go "LOL" but that is seriously amusing!! I'm passing it on to my friends!

KXBC said...

Ewwwww!

The Fluffy Tribe said...

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha ~poiland tribe